Whether you call them 18 wheelers, semi-trucks, or tractor-trailers, large commercial vehicles are present in huge numbers on our roads and interstates. Because of their size, they present increased dangers to other drivers if they are involved in a car-truck collision. Semi-trucks are responsible for 12% of traffic accidents, although they represent less than 5% of the vehicles on our roadways. Large trucks are more likely to cause death and serious injury than any other vehicle collision.
Trucking accident cases present particular challenges for those seeking to recover for injuries caused by truck driver negligence. There are numerous specific regulations that truckers have to follow and it is vital that your attorney understand the issues raised in trucking accident cases in order to properly represent you or your loved one.
Some issues specific to trucking accident cases include:
- Truck driver compliance with interstate trucking regulations
- Whether the truck drivers log books are valid and accurate
- Obtaining information from satellite tracking devices used by many commercial trucking lines
- Load weigh regulations
- Driver employment issues
- Improper truck maintenance
- Improper loading or failing to properly secure a load
- And many more